Saturday, August 7, 2010

Jayne Says: Quick Picks for UFC 117

I say "quick" because I don't have alot of time to dwell on this post. In case you hadn't noticed, I haven't really been around much in the past month or so; Real Life has been getting in the damned way of my MMA obsession. Curse you, reality! Curse you!!

Anywho...I present to you, our (two) loyal readers, my UFC 117 picks:

Saunders v. Hallman -- Really, do I have to explain this? Like Rusty said, he's got a hell of a record...but what she didn't mention is that Hallman defeated Matt Hughes. Twice. By submission. In a combined time of 1 minute, 12 seconds. 'Nuff said.

Struve v. Morecraft -- Before the weigh-ins, I was going for Struve, hands down. He's freakishly tall and still not old enough to shave, and he's been pretty impressive in the UFC so far. However, after watching the weigh-ins, I'm not so sure about Morecraft. He's a big boy...he's almost as tall as Struve, but he's almost twice as wide. I expect him to put up one hell of a fight. That being said, Struve is all arms and legs, and I still think he'll win....just not as easily as I thought before.

Hendricks v. Brenneman -- Ok, this is where Rusty is just wrong. Sure, Brenneman has nice hair and might look good in a Calvin Klein ad, but Hendricks is...well, Hendricks. He's undefeated, is a very decorated amateur wrestler...and sports a beard like nobody's business. Sorry, Brenneman, I gotta go with Hendricks ftw.

Boetsch v. Brown -- Did I ever tell you that Rusty is delusional? Yep, she is. Totally nuts. We love her anyway, though...even if she's going to get this fight wrong, too. Boetsch is a wrestler. He apparently has a strong chin. Buddy has three career losses -- to Jason Brilz, Matt Hamill and Vladimir Matyushenko. To be fair, the latter two were taken short notice (he had three days to get ready for Matyushenko!) and two of the three went to decision (he got TKO'd by Hamill in the second round). And his picture on the UFC site is scary...

Davis v. Wallace -- Ok, this is where I start getting silly, because I seriously love Wallace's nickname. "Sho'nuff the Master"? Hellz yes! Sure, Davis might actually win the fight, but I'm going for irrationality on this one, thank you.

Hazelett v. Story -- Ok, Story's nickname annoys me. Because he looks 12. He's not the least bit scary to me. Hazelett's nickname also annoys me. However, 9 of his 13 wins have been by submission and I'm a sucker for a submission artist. I'm not totally committed to this outcome, however, and wouldn't be surprised if Story took the W...

Nelson v. Dos Santos -- Despite the BF's contentions that Dos Santos has the best chance of all the heavyweights to actually beat Lesnar (do not confuse this with his saying that Dos Santos will beat Lesnar, mind you), I LOVE ME SOME ROY NELSON. He is Everyman! He doesn't look like a pro athlete, doesn't act like one, and has the most awesome mullet I've seen since 1988. And he's good. He's damned good. He's taken down every guy Dana's thrown at him and I don't see why Dos Santos would be any different. I'm excited as hell to see this fight! Too bad I'll be on a plane when its shown... *cry*

Ok, Jayne is running out of time here, so the rest of these are going to be short and sweet. Sue me, I have places to be today..

Hughes v. Almeida -- Hughes is a jackass. He may be Chael Sonnen's only competition for UFC Douchebag of the Year. It sucks that Hughes is so good, because he may actually win this...but I refuse to root for him, and I'm Almeida all the effing way.

Guida v. Dos Anjos -- You know, I hadn't really had the chance to watch Guida's antics before I saw the weigh-ins yesterday, and he's a funny, funny man. And like Rusty, I'm also pretty sure he's on something...but whatever. He's a wrestler, he's enthusiastic, I love his attitude...and like I told the BF, anyone who can fight with THAT much hair in his face has my vote...

Fitch v. Alves -- Alves apparently can't make weight to save his life. Seriously, half a pound? Alves is cute as hell tho...but I still can't pick him as a winner. Fitch for the win..

Silva v. Sonnen -- and here we have our main event. I will preface this by saying that I LOVE CHAEL SONNEN. The dude is a fucking lunatic, which amuses the hell out of me, but he's also a damned good wrestler and just what Silva needs to knock some sense back into him. And by "knock," I mean "take to the mat and bleed on him"....

So there you have it. My abbreviated fight picks. I would love to sit and chat about just how much joy Chael Sonnen gives me, but I have to get my ass in gear. Enjoy the fights, dear readers, and I'll be posting more in the future.. Bahahahhaa!

No comments:

Post a Comment